Sunday, July 8, 2012

I sewed something!


I sewed this weekend. I know, I know. A sewing blog with a post about sewing. So confusing. I will give you a moment to gather your thoughts.

I am no longer a Burda virgin. I made a robe this weekend, from Burda 2653.

It is super easy. Really super easy. I actually made it in less than a day, and I am a slow sewist. It is made from thrifted 100 % waffle weave cotton.  I ran out of fabric for the facings, so I used an old sheet, the colour is light green too and it works well. A sleeping Sorbetto and PJ bottoms are probably going to make an appearance soon too.  The fabric is perfect for a summer robe. Which I need now that we finally have summer. Summer came with attitude, it is making up for lost time. Last weekend we had floods in our area because of the rain. Now the forecast is for 36 C, or 96 F, Sunday. Hot. Damned hot.

Back to the robe. I made A, which is full length (a novelty for me) with a hood, and I made it in the largest size, so it is big. I always think robes should be oversized, don`t you? With the hood up, one looks like Obi Wan Kenobi would if he had his colours done and he was told he was a spring. 

This is not the sewist you are looking for.
The lightsaber is in for repairs.


The pattern went together perfectly or it would have if I hadn't made a mistake in cutting one of the fronts. Which is odd because I cut the fronts doubled. I cut one side 3 inches longer at the front and tapered to the right length at the side. The other side was perfect. I cannot imagine how I managed to do that.

This is actually a test run of the pattern. I am in the planning stages of a robe for S (rubber duck PJ friend), she needs a ridiculously warm robe for winter as she is always cold. For her robe I am using only fleece that I have in my stash, and so therefore I will be piecing the fabric. Not in the down home quilted look, I am hoping for a cool Koos look. I almost have it in my head, not quite yet. But soon.

There is nothing like finishing a project you love to inspire you to sew more. I will be heading down to the sewing dungeon today to start another project. I know not what. Yet.

23 comments:

  1. I need a robe or a couple of robes so badly.  Maybe this will inspire me to get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Elle, you cracked me up!!  Thanks for that.  :)   Love your "housework Jedi" pose.  LOL

    The robe looks great!  Time to deploy ducks (or whatever.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha awesome!  Love the color, the pose, and the finished robe.  And more sewing?  Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still laughing my ass off after seeing the picture of you with the mop. Brilliant! Glad you got some sewing in...I'm hoping to get some of that done today, so that I can get my Burda project wrapped up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing my ass off at "one looks like Obi Wan Kenobi would if he had his colors done and was told he was a spring."  HA.  Having said that, the color IS marvelous and you look like a very fresh and weather-ready Jedi.  How nice that the pattern went together well!  I've done the bad cutting when doubled too, and I have no ready explanation for that one, but at least it didn't ruin the robe.  

    I have been making underwear.  You have been warned.  Post forthcoming....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you sewing.  I love waffle weave, but cannot seem to find a good quality ww.  
    May the (sewing) force be with you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a stitch! Love the robe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, sewing! I want to make myself a LONG LONG robe with a hood someday, but can't really justify it right now as I have a perfectly good robe that was a gift from a family member...

    Sorry for my lax commenting the last couple of posts---my reader app goes funky commenting on blogger and I occasionally get too annoyed with it to try and re-type things. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations - there is nothing like finishing something and being happy with it. The robe looks great and I do love your lightsaber. Can't wait to see what your next creation will be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, if only I was a housework Jedi. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you see how easy it is, right? RIGHT?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do know it isn't against the sleepwear rules to own more than one robe? C'mon you know you wanna. I can even trace off my pattern for you. Which I hate doing, so you should feel honoured.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pattern, super easy, super fast. Highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was thrifted fabric so unfortunately I am no help at all. This is lovely to put on after a shower. 

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made a robe, and a cool one, at that! Love the color. And the mop. Congratulations on losing your Burda cherry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo, I'm considering making a robe for myself, and now I totally want one with a hood!  Glad to see you sewing, and I hear you on how a successful project just urges you one for more.  :)  Can't wait to see the version for your ducky friend (heh, robes for ducks. :D).  Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  18.  Also, you're a hoot!  I love your Obi-pose, complete with hilarious caption!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehe, fabulous!  I LOVE the remark about obi wan having his colours done, what a hoot!  And now I have a sudden craving for a robe with a hood too, hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn, I really can't recommend this pattern enough. It is multi sized, so you could make one for your whole family, and it goes together like a dream. It is so nice to have a full length one too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You might want to consider making one out of polar fleece, it could come in very handy this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The mop is such a nice touch.  Is that a current Burda pattern?  I need a robe...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yup, it is a current one. 

    ReplyDelete